Sunday, September 13, 2009

(Not) Talking about Health

Feeling sick. My shoulder still hurts. Can't exercise. Still dizzy and nauseated. Seeing the doctor again. These are not statuses that I have been posting on Facebook. Who wants to read stuff like this every day. Even I don't want to read it, and I'm the one going through it. So I haven't been writing about my health until today, and I promise not to write about again, at least for a while. The topic is just too depressing and there isn't all that much to say. Today I felt like whining and if you don't want to read any further, that's ok.

For the last six months or so I have been trying to get off one of my medications, as advised by one of my doctors. I had been doing pretty well on cutting back very slowly until I got to the final .5 mg. That's when the real trouble started. I started having attacks of dizziness, nausea, and muscle spasms. I had numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes. I wondered if I was having a heart attack or a stroke. I went to Convenient Care. I saw my rheumatologist. I was assured that I wasn't dying. That, at least, was a relief. On the other hand, I was having drug withdrawal in a very unpleasant way. So I gave up on the effort to stop the last dose of the medication. I still have some muscle problems, and some waves of nausea, and some dizziness. I'm not sure if the vision problems are my new glasses or remnants of the drug issues. And I still have the anxiety that the medication is supposed to control.

The upshot is that I may have to go back to the optometrist about my glasses. I may have to call my primary care physician about the anxiety. I will have to see the massage therapist again (I went yesterday) because of the continuing neck and shoulder issues. But I won't put any updates in my Facebook status. Maybe, if I start to feel really good, I will say so. But I certainly won't bother to say that I feel lousy. I wouldn't want to read it. And there's no reason why you should either.

No comments:

Post a Comment