Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dealing with Bad News

While I'm not a bury-your-head-in-the-sand type, I don't go out of my way to find bad news. I tend to read the arts, food and tech sections of the New York Times along with the opinion columns, but I try not to read too many articles about how the government isn't working. I prefer culturally inclined international articles over political ones. And I listen to a classical music station that has limited news breaks. I do check the weather frequently, but that's the kind of bad news I handle pretty well.

So when the bad news hits close to home, or perhaps I should say, at home, I need stratagems to deal with it. The latest news on Peter's health unfolded over a seven-week period, but I was still unprepared for the result of the tests.

I guess the coping mechanism at the moment is to go on doing what we are doing and adopt the wait-and-see approach. Fingers crossed (don't we all do it as a reflexive action?) that the new round of meds will bring down Peter's PSA for an extended period. We can hope that some new treatments may be found, but right now that isn't looking too promising.

Keeping busy and planning travel seem to be the best way to keep anxiety as a reasonable level. Perhaps I'm kidding myself, but I don't see any viable alternatives. So ..... off to the gym, out on the bike, hit the books, and run off to places near and far ..... see you at the movies.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:S Mckinley Ave,Champaign,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment